Want better broadband?
“Our broadband is rubbish!”
… is a phrase we’ve heard from a lot of folk in and around the East Neuk. If the last 18 months have taught us anything, it is that we all need access to better internet connectivity.
Working or studying at home, accessing essential information – not to mention streaming movies and downloading your favourite box sets! And when you add in the fact the several members of the same family want or need to be online at the same time? Buffering galore.
In late 2020, we decided that we wanted to do something about it. We set up this site as a registration page and invited people to tell us if they agreed with our vision. In short, they did …
The numbers backed our belief: the area is served badly. We have worked with numerous partners and stakeholders through this year in the hope of garnering wider backing to roll out a network that would serve not only the East Neuk but also the whole of North East Fife and Levenmouth. Despite support from elected councillors, MSPs, MPs, business and tourism associations, community councils and groups – we were not able to persuade the local authority to take things further.
So we are acting alone to deliver this project – albeit with your support.
If you have not yet registered, please do so. This is the first step in trying to provide a solution for our community – inviting residents, businesses and organisations to register interest in a gigabit-capable broadband network that will deliver a range of services at no more than you are paying today*.
All you have to do at this stage is complete all requested fields on the form below.
Compulsory fields*: we will need this information to work with the required partners on the project:
Your data …
The information shared through this online form will be added automatically to our GDPR-compliant database on MailChimp. We will then be able to keep you informed via email on our plans, network development and service updates. We will also share news from time to time on our Facebook page.
Things are now moving at a pace. We presented our plans to the East Neuk Community Councils group meeting at the beginning of November and explained our timetable.
- Week commencing 15th November 2021 – an update of this Blog, media release as well as making more people aware through our project Facebook page.
- Week commencing 29th November 2021 – an open meeting inviting all to a presentation with Q&A that will explain our service delivery, plans, timetable, etc. This will cover:
- Why we are doing it
- The issues facing the East Neuk re connectivity
- The service we will provide
- The network and equipment we will use
- The funding availability (for those eligible)
- Our ‘cluster’ approach – to be able to start the network build using support funding in bite-sized chunks
- Service expansion: as each cluster is approved, we will then be able too ’survey and install’ for all who wish to adopt our service
- Service provision: if we cannot connect them, we will explain why and – where relevant – make recommendations for alternative options. If we can connect them, they will receive the level of service they choose at the given cost
- Week commencing 6th December 2021 – we will assess registrations and issue a follow-up release for pre-Christmas publication/sharing. Depending on the demand, we will also make an application for funding for the first cluster of properties on the East Neuk. Those being offered the funding support will then have 28 days to accept: if they do not, they may be removed from support ongoing. If they accept, we then have 12 months to connect them to trigger the funding, although it will be our plan to connect asap.
- Week commencing 10th January 2022 – we will assess the programme and issue a follow up release; if the numbers stack up, this will include an invitation to a follow-up open meeting to be held in …
- Week commencing 24th January 2022
Actions beyond this will be determined by demand and the funding process to add cluster by cluster. As each cluster comes on stream, all who wish to have improved connectivity will be offered the opportunity to sign-up, regardless of their funding status.
Much more is covered on the site of our Internet Service Provider partners – just click on the image below:
Will it cover my address?
We are looking to offer the service across the East Neuk. If the demand is there, we will be able to deliver for those living and working in and around …
Abercrombie | Anstruther | Arncroach | Carnbee | Cellardyke
Colinsburgh | Crail | Drumeldrie | Earlsferry | Elie | Kilconquhar
Kilrenny | Kingsbarns | Largoward | Lahill | Lathones | Lochty
New Gilston | Peat Inn | Pittenweem | St Monans
The offer: super or ultra?
At present, some homes and businesses are operating with broadband speeds of under 10Mbps. Across our area – in fact across Scotland – 30Mbs is not only seen as good, it is labeled as ‘superfast‘. Ever-increasing demands and expectations on digital communication mean the world is getting faster. Connectivity has to keep up.
The broadband target is to deliver reliable, ultrafast connectivity: the very basic service will be superfast. The ambition is ultrafast – with a focus on significantly faster speeds of connectivity for both download and upload.
What we’re proposing will be transformational. If our plans come to fruition – again, demand-led – all will be offered a service that steps up on delivery – up to a maximum of 1Gbps connectivity.
We know many businesses struggle with connectivity – even for items as basic as contactless payment systems. Our plans will ensure all those who want ultrafast connectivity can get it – to support existing businesses and to make the East Neuk an even-more attractive destination for those considering start-ups or relocation.
Our pledge …
* We want to ensure that the services offered are financially viable: to that end, there’s a commitment that any broadband charges delivered will be no higher than those people are paying for the equivalent services offered by other providers. The added benefit? Unlike any national service provider, our offering will work with local partners and community stakeholders to deliver much-needed improvements in digital connectivity and support. Customers signing up will not only help us to deliver unrivaled connectivity, but will also us in our plans to provide support for our wider community. You can read read more via this link.
If you have any questions, please email us via this link.
Thank you for reading and – we hope – for completing our registration form.
It is only through residents and businesses informing us of their need for improved connectivity that we will be able to explore how we can best help … to deliver gigabit-capable broadband across the East Neuk.